ABOUT TRACTOR TRAILER DRIVER M.E.L.T. (MANDATORY ENTRY-LEVEL TRAINING) PROGRAM FOR CLASS A DRIVER APPLICANTS
Effective from July 1,2017 if you want Class A (commercial truck) driver’s license you will need to complete mandatory training before taking your road test. The Mandatory entry-level training will include at least 103.5 hours of instructional time and cover the entry-level knowledge and skills needed to safely operate a large truck on Ontario’s roads.
To apply for a full Class A licence, you need to:
- be at least 18 years old
- hold a valid Ontario licence other than G1, G2, M, M1 or M2
- pass an eye test
- submit a medical report
- pass a written test about operating large trucks and tractor-trailers
TRACTOR TRAILER DRIVER M.E.L.T. COURSE OUTLINE:
Students of our program will gain the skills required to obtain a commercial driver position within the transportation sector.
Competent drivers must know not only how to operate the particular class of equipment to which they have been assigned but also be aware of hazards associated with the work they have been asked to do They will be able to operate equipment in a manner that protects both their own safety and the safety of others in their workplace.
- General safety inspection and maintenance
- Hours of service (Log Book), Map Reading, Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Handling of Cargo, Trip Planning, Tractor-Trailer Driver Handbook/Workbook, reviewing & final testing.
- as In-Cab check, progressive shifting, clutch brakes, double-clutching, break-checks, road driving, safe turns and lane positioning, city and outside city driving, merging
- Truck familiarization, under-hood inspection, pre-trip inspection on truck and trailer, post-trip inspection, coupling and uncoupling, backing, strategies for confined spaces.
- Vigilance Training (Operators and those working near equipment)
- Supervision of Site Fundamentals
Our course is 5 weeks in length consisting of 103.5 hours of training:
(Around the Vehicle)
(Behind the Wheel
(32 on‐road, 18 off‐road)
In‐class = classroom
In‐yard = vehicle is not moving; e.g., vehicle inspection
In‐cab = driver is BTW; e.g., backing, coupling/uncoupling, driving along
AT COURSE COMPLETION:
Further to course completion students will be awarded the following:
- TRACTOR TRAILER DRIVER M.E.L.T. Driver Training Certificate
- Air Brake Endorsement recognized by the Ontario Ministry of Transportation
Regular attendance in all aspects of training is essential for learner success because skill development and safety requirements build progressively from day to day. Excused absences for any reason do not relieve a learner of the responsibility to complete course work required by the course outline and instructor.
Assessment of the student’s attendance, work ethic, professionalism, and the ability to work safely. Any additional individual attributes will be noted.
Failure to comply with safety standards as outlined by the instructor may result in withdrawal from the course.
- Valid Ontario Class ‘G’ License or higher
- Knowledge verification of Rules of the Road and Signs
- Grade 10 English or Equivalent
- MTO approved Medical Form completed
ADDITIONAL CERTIFICATES INCLUDED:
- Professional Driver Improvement Course (PDIC)
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG)
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
How do I register for this course?
You may contact us @416-741-1515 to book a time to come in and talk to us. For further information please email us @ email@example.com.
For more information, visit this website: https://www.ontario.ca/page/new-mandatory-training-class-drivers-licence-applicants